For most people, the MRI is completely safe. However, in most cases, pregnant women should not have MRI scans. Please let the staff know if you are pregnant. MRI does not use any type of radiation, but does produce a powerful magnetic field. To assure that you will have no adverse effects from the magnetism, the staff needs to find out if you have any metal in your body.
Please advise the staff if:
- You have a cardiac pacemaker or artificial heart valve
- You have a metal plate, pin, surgical staples or clips, or other metallic implant
- You have aneurysm clips
- You have an inner ear implant
- You have an intrauterine device, such as Copper-T IUD
- You have permanent eyeliner (tattoo)
- You have any metal fragments in your eye or in your body
- You have ever been a metal worker
- You have a biostimulator
- Also, if anyone accompanying you during the exam has any of these conditions, please bring it to the staff’s attention.